~♥~ About Me: DawnTreader ~♥~ Location: Sweden. ~♥~ My main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands ~♥~

~♥~Looking for more info of the kind you usually find in the sidebar? Go to the bottom of the page! ~♥~



Follow Me!

Follow Me!
Click on the image

Tuesday 25 May 2010

After the Rain

DSCN6214-1    RAINBOW         DSCN6215

 

 

DSCN6230-1

 

DSCN6224

The Colours of the Rainbow:

RED – ORANGE – YELLOW – GREEN -  BLUE – INDIGO - VIOLET

From a physics point of view, the rainbow spans a continuous spectrum of colours—there are no "bands." Newton originally (1672) named only five primary colours: red, yellow, green, blue and violet. Only later did he introduce orange and indigo, giving seven colours - by analogy to the number of notes in a musical scale! (I have to say, I always had difficulties identifying “indigo”.)

I also have a Rainbow post at my other blog today – The Island of the Voices. There you can read a bit about mythology and folklore connected with rainbows; and also about the phenomenon of the double rainbow.

5 comments:

MadSnapper said...

you have really captured these and they are fantastic. i love what you did with the two at the tom, and I have never seen the rainbow actually shine on a house like it does in the last photo. wow and i am jealous. i have not seen one that I could capture.

Ginny Hartzler said...

You've taken the pictures from your other blog, and amplified their beauty. Being larger, it's kind of like seeing it in real life!! I'm not quite sure what you mean by no bands, perhaps it means that the colors all blend in at the edges and are not separate, which you can see in the close up. Do you think the people in that house are seeing a different rainbow and don't know they are really at the end of one? Perhaps they have a pot of gold!

DawnTreader said...

Yes, one is almost tempted to pursue the rainbow and find out where it leads to... But I know those houses are at least a kilometer away... ;)

Most rainbows I've seen have only lasted for a few minutes. This one however stayed up for at least about 20 minutes. My first and last photos of it are 14 minutes apart and after the last photo I know I stayed on and just watched for a while longer.

Dan Felstead said...

Dawn Treader...I was going to say the same thing that Mersad said...truly...a good picture of a rainbow is very difficult to capture and you did it very well!!!! Much better than any rainbow pictures I have ever taken. I also like the way you split the rainbow.

Nice work today!

Dan

ADRIAN said...

A double rainbow, a bonus these are very good indeed.

Followers

Awards given to DawnTreader's Picture Book



Over-the-Top Award from NPT @ The Nature..., 3 November 2009.
More info at The Island of the Voices.




'Blog of the Week' from Brett @ 365 to 42, 9 November 2009.


From Scriptor Senex @ Rambles From My Chair, 22 November 2009

About Me - DawnTreader

My photo
Västergötland, Sweden
PLEASE NOTE that this blog is no longer being updated, and comments are therefore closed.

Click on the picture to jump over to my "Island of the Voices" blog!

DawnTreader's Picture Book

For this blog, I have chosen a template that allows me to show pictures as big as possible . Some of the things you usually find in the sidebar, you will find here at the bottom of the page instead - Blog Archive, Followers etc.







My camera is a Nikon Coolpix 4600.
For basic editing of most photos and collages I use Picasa 3.
Sometimes I also experiment with some more "artistic" effects in Photoshop Elements or Paint Shop Pro.


YOU WILL ALSO FIND ME HERE:

The Island of the Voices ~♥~ Wordly Efforts ~♥~ Through My Spectrespecs ~♥~ Soaring Through The World

Powered by Blogger.