~♥~ About Me: DawnTreader ~♥~ Location: Sweden. ~♥~ My main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands ~♥~

~♥~Looking for more info of the kind you usually find in the sidebar? Go to the bottom of the page! ~♥~



Follow Me!

Follow Me!
Click on the image

Saturday 21 August 2010

Buzzzy Day

2010-08-20 butterflies bee3

2010-08-20 butterflies bee

2010-08-20 butterfly2

2010-08-20 butterfly4

2010-08-20 butterfly5

Glad to be able to report the butterflies were “back” in the park yesterday. 
The ones in these pictures are Small Tortoiseshell (Nässelfjäril) and Common Brimstone (Citronfjäril). Unfortunately the latter never settle with the wings spread. Hanging from the flowers they’re often hard to distinguish from surrounding leaves. Flying about the males are bright yellow (therefore in Swedish have a name that translates Lemon Butterfly).

Today it’s raining, and I’m playing with the butterflies on the computer instead of in the park.

6 comments:

Blogeomah said...

Did you know that the origin of the English name "butterfly" comes from the buttery yellow colour of the male Brimstone?

DawnTreader said...

George, it seems obvious now that you say it, but I'm not sure I ever thought about it before! :)

Unknown said...

beautiful photos. so vivid and crisp. I find it so hard to capture the butterfly. great catch!!

I have moved my photo blog over to my other site. have moved your photo link there also.

Ginny Hartzler said...

How great, you even got a bee in there! I imagine you weren't very close, or you would have scared them away? But I LOVE the butterfly that looks exactly like a leaf!!!

DawnTreader said...

Ginny: Some of the photos were cropped a bit in editing, but they are all macro shots taken with my little Coolpix, so yes I was quite close with the camera. Not all butterflies remained seated when I approached ;) but some did. One part of it is to try and avoid letting your shadow fall on them...

MadSnapper said...

what a capture! WOW! the first and the last photos made me moan with pleasure, i actually said out loud, ohhhhhhh, ohhhhhhhhh when I looked at them. to find a bee and a butterfly together in one photo is a wonderful thing to behold and the flowers and butterflies ohhhhh ohhhhhh is all I can say. I am thinking print and frame on these two and hang on the wall, they would make great presents at Christmas

Followers

Awards given to DawnTreader's Picture Book



Over-the-Top Award from NPT @ The Nature..., 3 November 2009.
More info at The Island of the Voices.




'Blog of the Week' from Brett @ 365 to 42, 9 November 2009.


From Scriptor Senex @ Rambles From My Chair, 22 November 2009

About Me - DawnTreader

My photo
Västergötland, Sweden
PLEASE NOTE that this blog is no longer being updated, and comments are therefore closed.

Click on the picture to jump over to my "Island of the Voices" blog!

DawnTreader's Picture Book

For this blog, I have chosen a template that allows me to show pictures as big as possible . Some of the things you usually find in the sidebar, you will find here at the bottom of the page instead - Blog Archive, Followers etc.







My camera is a Nikon Coolpix 4600.
For basic editing of most photos and collages I use Picasa 3.
Sometimes I also experiment with some more "artistic" effects in Photoshop Elements or Paint Shop Pro.


YOU WILL ALSO FIND ME HERE:

The Island of the Voices ~♥~ Wordly Efforts ~♥~ Through My Spectrespecs ~♥~ Soaring Through The World

Powered by Blogger.